This post is brought to you by New York Life and BlogHer.
The holidays are finally here and it’s one of my favorite times to enjoy the season, but also remember what these joyous occasions are truly about. When I think about all the holiday celebrations during my childhood, I can’t remember all the details about the gifts I received, or my emotions regarding those presents, but the most treasured memory that stands out to me is how we always made a point to give back to others who are less fortunate than us. And this is my favorite holiday experience of all.
Every Thanksgiving, we donated canned/non-perishable goods to local food pantries through our church and my school, as a way to make sure we helped others have a warm meal during those cold weather months. It may not be much, but it taught me the value of doing for others from an early age and helped instill how important it is to give back. This always reminded me that I had so much to be thankful for, and a tradition we still participate in as much as possible. We have been blessed and we have much to give thanks for…our health, our family, our children, our friends, our jobs, and so much more.
Once Christmas rolled around, Mom and I would venture out to the mall and visit the Angel Tree and we would select an angel to buy gifts for. We would look though each and every angel on the tree and then would pick one that stood out to us…coincidentally, it was usually the ones that asked for a bike or a larger fun item, as well as a coat and clothes to keep them warm. More than anything, this treasured tradition showed me what Christmas was truly all about.
Then when I was out on my own, my friends and I adopted the very same tradition and would get together during our girl’s holiday weekend and shop for our angels. Now with a family of my own, Jeff and I have continued this with our girls and I cannot wait to take them shopping for our recipient this year…I hope this means as much to them one day as it does to me, and demonstrates unconditional generosity. I want to pass this good onto my children and keep this tradition alive and well so that others know how important they are, even to complete strangers.
This year, New York Life
is hosting a Keep Good Going campaign and encourages readers to visit their website to share photos and discuss their special moments and experiences during the holiday season.
· You can also participate by tweeting your holiday traditions or memories using #KeepGoodGoing and the hashtag #FeedingAMillion. (New York Life Twitter handle: @NewYorkLife)
· For every tweet including the two hashtags mentioned above, New York Life will donate 25 meals to the Feeding America organization…what an incredible way to help pay it forward this season.
**Through 1/9/15, New York Life will donate $2.50 for each approved post, with a minimum of $25K & a maximum of $100K.
See full terms and conditions at NewYorkLife.com/CelebratingGood. Find info about Feeding America at feedingamerica.org.
Leave a comment and share what you are thankful for this holiday season, and you might win one $50 VISA Gift Card and a $50 donation on behalf of BlogHer in the winner’s name to Feeding America.
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 12/1/2014 – 12/31/2014.
Be sure to visit the New York Life brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!