If you’re like me, you LOVE everything about shrimp and grits with bacon. If we’re at a restaurant and it’s on the menu, it’s most likely getting delivered to our table = that’s how predictable I am. However, a few years ago I stumbled across this easy peasy way to execute one of my most beloved dishes at home and totally forgot about the recipe until recently. I whipped this up a few weeks ago and it’s just as great now AND kid approved from my little seafood lovers, too.
Nothing fancy, but this one will surely get you out of your comfort zone and make you crave more seafood:
SHRIMP AND GRITS WITH BACON
- 4 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup stone-ground grits [I buy this variety from Trader Joe’s]
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined [I buy the frozen variety from Trader Joe’s to make it easy]
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Bring water to a boil then add a dash of salt and pepper. Add grits and cook until water is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese [and just wait for how great they taste!!].
- Rinse shrimp and pat dry[this is an essential step so they don’t get soggy!] Fry bacon in a large skillet until browned; drain well. In grease, add shrimp + then cook until shrimp turn pink. Add lemon juice, chopped bacon, parsley, scallions and garlic. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spoon grits into a serving bowl. Add shrimp mixture and mix well. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Looking for more of my go-to dishes?? Check here for all my Good Eats recipes…
Have you ever tried shrimp and grits with bacon? Let me know in a comment below!
I am not sure if I can buy grits in Australia (not sure what they are), can I substitute rice for the grits? I love prawns, garlic and bacon together, this sounds amazing!
i would absolutely think so… you could also use quinoa or riced cauliflower, too!
2 Comments on Good Eats | Easy Shrimp and Grits