Easter may be long gone, but this carrot cake cupcakes recipe is one that is sure to get made again very soon because of how good it is [and obviously you can leave off the jellybeans or not]! My girls LOVE carrot cake and any excuse to get baking with them in the kitchen is fine by me. Plus, it made for the perfect springtime dessert in an easy-to-eat cupcake format. And yes, homemade cream cheese frosting for good measure made it even sweeter!
the best carrot cake cupcakes recipe
ALL THE INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tso ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt [ I ALWAYS use salt when baking to help cut the sweetness]
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cinnamon applesauce [can also use unsweetened/regular]
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated carrots [to save time, buy the already grated version in the produce section]
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING INGREDIENTS
- 8 oz cream cheese [softened to room temperature; do not use fat free]
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
ALL THE DIRECTIONS
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray cupcake pans with non-stick cooking spray OR line with cupcake liners
- In a larhe mixing bowl, mix together dry ingredients [flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt] until well combined
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, brown sugar, sugar, applesauce and vanilla extract until combined. Add grated carrots into mixture and then continue to mix together.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and blend with a whisk or spatula, but be sure not to overmix.
- Pour batter into cupcakes and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until toothpick comes out clean of inside of cupcake. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine cream cheese + butter and mix with handheld or stand mixer for 30 seconds until well combined. Then add in powdered sugar and vanilla extract and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Top cupcakes with cream cheese icing and add extra pecan pieces as additional topping if needed.
OTHER FAVORITE SWEET TREATS
- Mimi’s Pina Colada Cake
- Easy Blackberry Cobbler
- Frozen Smore Cups
- Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding
- Strawberry Shortcake Cookie Cups
Have you made carrot cake cupcakes before? What’s a dessert that you really love to make? Let me know in a comment below!